There are many things I love about the end of the calendar year and the end of the school year, but among my very favorite is the time for reflection. I challenge my students to regularly take time to think about where they’ve been and where they’re going. Without that time, we’re prone to wander Hansel & Gretel style in the wilderness.
As I ponder this year, I am amazed by just how far we stepped outside of our comfort zones. It was a year of much growing and stretching! Not just for me, but for my students, and our entire school.
In the end of year faculty meeting yesterday, our principal, Mrs. Bishop, gave us a list of things in which Guion Creek Middle School is the only middle school in our district to accomplish –
- Host an all-school science fair
- Qualify a robotics team for state (and it was the 1st year for a robotics team!)
- Produce a musical (to a sell-out crowd of 500+ people on opening night!!!)
- Recognized by the state Dept of Education as a Promising Practice through our “Jags with Swag” apartment complex tutoring outreach program
- Host a Genius Hour Showcase
This is just a portion of the amazing things our GCMS students are doing to make our school and our world a better place.